Friday, April 13, 2012

4/13 Workout

Distance: unknown
Time: around 35 minutes of running (I forgot to turn my Nike+ on this morning)

I'm really happy that I got to squeeze in a run (albeit a short one) this morning because there was no I would have wanted to go to the gym after I got out of the office tonight. This week was extremely busy and I ended up staying a lot later than I would have liked.

The last two nights have been full of indulgences. Wednesday night I went to a "bartending class" with a vendor, which was pretty much a glorified private open bar, where a bartender stood by to help us make whatever drink we wanted. I pretty much stick to the basics when I drink, vodka sodas are my liquor drink of choice, I stick to white wine or champagne, and I like light beer. Don't like to mix in anything too crazy (except the occasional Dark and Stormy) because I get the worse hangovers ever. But I felt like making my own vodka soda was too boring, so I made some fruity concoction whose silly name I forgot, but it had Malibi, 2 different kinds of flavored vodka, and champagne (my only qualifier for a cocktail suggestion was that it have champagne in it). I regret making this beverage immensely. Woke up on Thursday with a splitting headache. It wasn't a full blown hangover, but I had a hard time shaking this headache from the sugary drinks.

Thursday night I ended up going to a restaurant called Veritas which was pretty darn amazing. They have a pretty simple menu, but I had such a hard time choosing what I wanted to eat. Ended up getting the "Ocean & Land" as an appetizer (lobster & bone marrow) which was really scrumptious, although it wasn't the best bone marrow that I've ever had. That was followed by Prosciutto Wrapped Scallops. Doesn't that just sound delicious? And then my favorite part of the meal, dessert. I ordered the Root Beer Float, which really isn't a traditional float at all, but instead had root beer sorbet, vanilla ice cream, and some interesting foam. But when you took a bite of it all together, it really felt like I was eating a root beer float with a spoon! (I need to go back to Halo Pub for the delightful root beer floats of my youth.)

But I digress. The point of outlining all of the gluttony above is to show how I was guilted into running this morning. Now I am completely aware that running is good for me, and I will never, ever regret going for a run. But why is that first step out the door so hard. I hit snooze on my initial early wake up alarm, figured I'd get some extra sleep before headed to work. But then a little tiny voice inside of me was urging to go for at least a short run. I knew it was going to be nice out, and I knew I'd regret it if I didn't make at least a small effort.

I'm really glad I went. Unfortunately I forgot to turn my Nike+ GPS on when I started out (apparently I was too intent on listening to my favorite One Direction song at the moment), which really isn't a big deal because it isn't 100% accurate any way (can't quite justify getting a Garmin until I prove that I'm going to stick to running), but I do like it because it'll tell me when I'm half way through my timed work out (which is useful during the weekdays when I need to make it to work). I hadn't been running along the East River in a very long time, preferring Central Park for my longer runs, but this morning I ran for about 35 minutes total: running from my apartment to the East River, up along the East River, back down, and headed back west home to hop in the shower and rush to work.

I tried to push myself a bit today by sprinting on the cross streets between avenues while I was headed back to my apartment. When I go running by myself, I tend to just go at a leisurely pace and don't really put an effort into speed. Not that that is my main KPI (ugh, hate when work terms crawl into my personal life), but it would be nice to beat my old times whenever I have a new race. It's very motivating, and you're challenging yourself, not really competing with anyone else.

Want to know what else made me happy this morning? I went running in shorts and a long sleeve tee!! This is amazing! I feel like I started running too late in the season last year to get some great outdoor runs in. So this year I *will* be taking advantage! I mean I love my running crops and running leggings, but sometimes you just want to run in a pair of shorts! This adorable camo pair is from lululemon (duh) and now I can finally wear them outside of the gym or my apartment. They are a bit short, but I have short legs so they're not very scandelous on me. I think it's supposed to be really nice out this weekend. My goal is to run at least 10 miles this weekend (doesn't have to be in one go).

Also just want to share...
2 weeks until Nashville!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Lululemon too, though I've never bought any of their shorts. I'm much more comfortable in their running crops. I bought one of their ruffled running skirts last year, but I haven't had the courage to wear it yet. Have you tried their Swiftly Tech shirts? They're the only shirt I work out in now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, i LOVE the swiftly shirts! The long sleeve ones are great for the cooler months and I went for a run in the short sleeved one this weekend and they were great!

    I usually just wear crops too, but these shorts were too cute to pass up and i actually like wearing them! I did buy a skirt on markdown, but haven't had the guts to wear it yet

    ReplyDelete