Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I'm a Newbie

I didn't start running to run races. I started running because I was sick of looking and feeling unhealthy, and I thought running would be the easiest way to ease into fitness. I'm not very fast, and I never really ran longer distances until very recently, so I didn't see a point to running in any races. 


Until November 6, 2011. That was the day of the ING New York City Marathon, probably the most famous marathon in the country. Even though I had been living in New York for 2 years, I had never actually seen any parts of the marathon. But last year, I knew someone who was running in it, and several friends were going to watch, so I figured I'd tag along. Cheering on the runners that ran by was an amazing experience. Seeing blind runners with their guides brought tears to my eyes, and seeing people who were the same age as my grandparents run the marathon was awe inspiring. There was nothing quite like seeing thousands of people all suffering through the same thing with the same goal in mind. That was when I decided that I really wanted to try a race. Unfortunately I decided this right when the racing season was dying down, but I decided that it was a great opportunity to train during the winter. As much as I hate, hate, hate the treadmill, I forced myself to stay on it as long as I could. 

And on February 25th, 2012, I ran my very first race ever! It was the Al Gordon Classic 4M in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. I somehow lost my bib somewhere between my apartment and the subway, but it ended up not being a big deal thankfully. I was so nervous, it was a bit chilly, but I was excited at the same time. Also, my little sister and her fiance were awesome enough to come all the way to Brooklyn from the UWS to cheer me on. I saw them within the first 1/2 mile, shouting my name and cheering for me, and that definitely helped me get going. The race was only 4 miles, and I finished in 33:06, which was 8:17/mile. I was blown away, I was hoping to just finish under 9:30/mile. 


My awesome sister braved the brisk morning cold to watch me race! I'm wearing lululemon of course - Heathered Paris Pink Define Jacket, black Run Inspire Crops, with a Joe Fresh grey running tank layered underneath. My sister told me that the hot pink jacket and yellow hat were an easy way to spot me in the crowd!

This positive first race experience encouraged me to finally commit to running the Country Music Half Marathon in Nashville at the end of April. I'm nervous because I have never run 13.1 miles before, and it does seem a bit daunting, but I have a few friends who will be running it so I am very excited! I also love Nashville since I went to school there, and I haven't been back in a few years. 

My long term, aspirational goal would be to one day run the NYC Marathon. That's why I'm going for the NYRR Run 9, Give 1 process to qualify for the 2013 marathon next November. I'm hoping that if I sucessfully run 9 races and qualify, I will have enough time to work my way up to the full 26.2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment