Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I'm Still Here

I’ve neglected this blog way too soon after I started it. I have a terrible work life/personal life balance, and have been busy with work lately and have neglected everything else. Since last Sunday, I’ve gone on about 2 runs. The first was nothing special, just an early morning (ok, maybe not that early) attempts at getting a few miles in before work. Ran for about 30 minutes to and along the East River, so it was about 2.85 miles (10:05 pace), which wasn’t too difficult, but I was short on time to make it to work and just wanted to work up a sweat. My plan for last Saturday was to run at least 10 miles. That didn’t happen. I’m a bit disappointed in myself. I ran the Central Park Loop on a gorgeous day, but it was barely over 6 miles. (My Nike+ App has been acting wonky, so I’m not even going to bother trusting my pace). It was great and sunny, and I actually ended up taking off the tshirt I was wearing over my tank top halfway through the run. Runners were out in full force, along with the tourists, and I felt pretty good about the run, even though it wasn’t as long as I would have liked.  


Then the suffering started. My left ankle has been bothering me for a few weeks now, but on the 6 mile run it didn’t hurt too badly. But even in my most comfortable non-running shoes, when I walked up and down stairs, it just felt funny. Uncomfortable. And even though I thought I had stretched plenty before I set off on my run, I was sore all over. I did do some lunges and squats with some hand weights in the gym, and sat in the sauna for a bit. But afterwards, I was so incredibly sore. Even more sore than any of my longer runs or even my 15K. Not a good feeling. I know I’m a newbie runner, and I didn’t want to overdo it this week. Which is why I’ve been taking it easy and haven’t worked out at all since Saturday. The cooler weather didn’t help, either. I’m feeling incredibly lazy, but I’d rather be in good shape to run the half marathon on Saturday. Did some weights and walking on the treadmill on Sunday (it was also rainy and gross out) at the gym. 


 I can’t believe the Country Music Half-Marathon is this weekend!! I signed onto running this months ago, even before I ran my very first race. I am incredibly nervous as I’ve never run 13.1 miles before. I am very confident that I will finish, but I’m still scared! I registered my predicted finish time as 2:15 for the half, but I’m hoping to be under 2 hours. I know that even if I don’t achieve that goal, I’ll still be proud of myself for finishing my first half-marathon. And the fact that it’ll be in one of my favorite cities ever, and with some of my favorite people ever, makes it that much sweeter. Leaving tomorrow night for Atlanta, where my parents currently live. Then I’ll be driving to Nashville early Friday morning, pick up my friend Kate from the airport, and head to the Expo! Then we’re planning on meeting up with my old college roommate who lives in Nashville, and some other friends. I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!! I’m screaming from the roof tops. This is a much needed break, both from the office and the city. As much as I love NYC, sometimes a girl just needs some fresh air. 


 Now if I only remember to pack everything I need…

No comments:

Post a Comment